Bungee Laces

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Let yourself go


It's funny how as a culture we are extremely reserved. We are trained from an early age to sit quietly in church, raise our hands in school and to generally avoid saying things that might cause offense.

I do think this is more of a cultural 'norm' that a 'human' norm. I know when I sit in a meeting and someone is crapping on about something that matters to me about as much as a knowing the weather forcast in Afghanistan it is hard to sit still and listen, without screaming "who gives a rat's ass!".

I also remember getting these strange compulsions in church to just stand up and say something. Anything. They seemed to hit me when the mood was most somber and everyone was saying a silent prayer. I'd just want to bounce up and say something like, "Did ya know, Mrs So and So's shirt is actually tucked into her undies today!"

I guess my cultural training kept these impulses at bay.

BUT, it is oddly refreshing and one almost gets a little jealous when you do meet someone who will say exactly what is on their mind. Perhaps they embarrass you a bit, or you think they are a prize idiot, but they truly have no need for the normal BS that people sprout. They are black and white, they say what they mean and more importantly they KNOW what they mean.

I'd like to be more like this. I'd like to write about stuff and not care about whether others like or dislike what I have to say. I just want to let myself go a bit. Reveal the real me, the bits of me you may not like, or may love!

I've had so much trouble starting this blog, but now I feel the answer is to just let myself go.

~Heather

2 comments:

  1. Good on ya Heather
    Writing, even if you are a bit of writer, is like a train pulling out of station. It seems so difficult to pull that heavy vehicle out and gain momentum, but once you are going it is hard to stop. The wheel of my train have totally seized up of late and I am not sure how to get going again, but letting go and not worrying too much about whether it is of a comparable standard to previous attempts or whether an imaginary crowd of readers will like your words and views, is probably a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still chuckling at the thought of you standing up in church...maybe during one of your dad's sermons...and saying something. that would have brought the place to life!

    ReplyDelete