Bungee Laces

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Nothing Funny or Light


I suppose having a baby, bringing new life into the world gets me thinking about numbers. Ages in particular. I work out that when I’m 70 the baby will still be in their late 20’s. I do worry about things like that, although I do feel very young at heart and having had a string of medical tests, which came back with good results, I feel confident that I won’t just keel over. Problem is you just don’t know what’s coming ‘round the bend.

Honestly, I’m not that concerned about mortality or aging. What this does get me thinking about is family or more so the dwindling numbers of my family. How Heather and the baby haven’t met certain family members who helped make me who I am. Heather says that she can see bits of my dad, uncles and even my mum in me but it’s not the full picture. It’s just I wish she could have met the people who have died and who had the greatest influence on me.

My Uncle Jeffery was a man who loved sport, gambling, laughing with three wild sons, stirred up constantly by him and a loving wife whom he was devoted to. He died five years ago from cancer. He was only in his late 50’s. I always wanted to have a marriage like theirs. They didn’t hide their love and joy for each other from anyone. Of course they had bad times but their love was stronger then any disagreement. I feel Heather and I have that. I just wish that both Heather and Jeffery could have met as she could see a little of what she was getting into and I’m sure she'd want to be a part of it.

My Da died during first term of 2008. About a month or so later Heather and I were together. The thought of them never meeting really chokes me up. We have both visited his graveside and I get overcome with emotion with Heather by my side while visiting him. Heather would have laughed at his sense of humour, or his perceived sense humour. Da loved his family and put up with everyone’s egos and tempers with a smile. He held the family together with his love and understanding of us all and a quite inner strength that made us all feel safe. He showed enormous strength when fighting cancer and an aortic aneurism. He proved a hard man to kill. He loved his family coming together for all occasions especially Christmas. He loved getting presents. Da gave so much I don’t think anyone objected to him enjoying receiving presents. Even then the enjoyment and gratitude he showed when getting presents would give the giver such satisfaction and joy. It was his gift to us all.

I can keep Uncle Jeffery and Da alive by showing Heather and the baby the lessons and gifts these two great men gave men.

I love you Heather.

2 comments:

  1. Roy that was a beautiful tribute to those you love. Well written too. You are blessed to have had such people in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. We all have people that we've lost to death, and you beautifully captured an aspect of missing them.

    ReplyDelete