Bungee Laces

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Socks


I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that for most people with school age children, mornings can be anything from a rabble to a nightmare. In our house, as soon as we peel our weary selves out of bed, its all systems go. Showering, making lunches, finding school clothes, threatening the kids who won't get out of bed, etc etc etc.

This morning, I got up a fraction early, feeling a little more ready than usual. I ironed Roy's clothes and was pleased with myself for getting a few loads of washing done the night before, so I could actually find something for myself to wear.

I was happily having my shower, when Roy poked his head in and asked if I had washed any of his socks. I replied that I had only done darks, but that I think he had several pair in his underwear basket (a new system I am using to sort everyone's easy to lose undergarments). He informed me that they were sport socks, not the long socks he wanted.

Now, I dare say, MOST men would just deal with this situation. They would wear a dirtied pair or wear the sports socks, but NOT Roy. The next thing, I feel the shower go cold. I said, "Have you got water on?" Reply: "Yes, I am washing a pair of socks." Now Roy has a tendency to exaggerate, so I laughed and asked if he'd put anything else in the load. "NO." I was still giggling because I didn't believe him.

So, I hop out of the shower and went to investigate. I open the lid to the washer and sure enough... there is one pair of socks swishing away in half a tank of water. Even the laundry softener liquid has been added. "ROY!!!"

"What, they will wash quicker with less stuff in the machine."

"No they won't."

So, being the kind that cannot waste that much water, I scramble around for a small load of 'other' socks that HE might want for tomorrow and a few other whites that would fit in the load. In the end, the socks got cleaned and dried, well sort of. I think there was a slight wetness in his shoes this morning. I am still laughing about it. :P

2 comments:

  1. roy, Roy, ROY! You washed ONE pair of socks in the washing machine!!!!! Say it ain't so.
    Hey, and who is the BIG kid that gets threatened for not getting out of bed Heather? HMMM. (hee hee).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather! You're here! I was checking back to see if Kate was posting any more, re-read the comments, found one from you, linked over to the old page...and found this new one! What fun. I don't write much myself any more, but it's fun reading others.

    ReplyDelete